Christ United Methodist Church continues to have a strong commitment to the global church and its community
The congregation known as Christ United Methodist Church is celebrating 202 years of faithful service. The congregation has changed locations and names several times; however, its legacy has continued to be a strong religious belief in God and a strong commitment to the global church and its community. According to recorded church history, our congregation had its beginning in 1812. We were a part of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Plan of Appointment for Preachers dated June 28, 1812, listed Asbury as one of the African churches to receive a preacher. Our church was known as Asbury Chapel which was located on East and Colden Streets (Colden Street was later named Douglas Street and Douglas Street was renamed Lexington Street).
The African churches were a part of the Baltimore Conference which was administered and programmed by Caucasians. The African churches petitioned the 1864 Baltimore Annual Conference to authorize the organization of an Annual Conference for the African churches. Under the leadership of Bishop Levi Scott, the Washington Conference came into being in October 1864. Asbury was among the original churches of the Washington Conference. Two districts were established: the Chesapeake and the Potomac. Asbury was a part of the Chesapeake District. Henry R. Elbert was appointed the first pastor of Asbury. The first Lay Electoral Conference of the Washington Conference was convened at Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in Baltimore.
In 1924, when the impact of the depression forced a foreclosure on the property of Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, Rev. Charles E. Johnson held remnants of the congregation together. The congregation accepted the hospitality of the Centennial Methodist Episcopal Church, located on the corner of Caroline and Bank Streets. The Asbury congregation worshipped in Centennial’s basement for nine months. District Superintendent, Dr. Albert I. Mitchell, and Rev. Johnson worked diligently to find a place of worship. A site was located at Eden and Hoffman Streets. On Sunday, July 7, 1934, a small group of dedicated members entered our new church home. On Monday, July 22, 1935, the church dedication was held and the official name given was East Hoffman Street Methodist Church. In the Uniting Conference of 1939, The Methodist Episcopal, The Methodist Episcopal South, and The Methodist Protestant Churches were brought together.
The word Episcopal was dropped and all three branches became the Methodist Church. The name of our church became East Hoffman Street Methodist Church. Around 1947, the Northwood and Appold Churches of the Baltimore Conference merged leaving the Appold Church home on Chase and Washington Streets vacant. Due to the growth of the East Hoffman Street congregation, the Appold property was acquired. In July 1948, the East Hoffman Street congregation moved to their newly acquired home. The church’s name was changed from East Hoffman Street to Christ Methodist Church in May of 1950. An Anniversary and Mortgage Burning was held in 1953.
In 1968, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethern Church joined to form the United Methodist Church. We became known as Christ United Methodist Church. In 1969, The Baltimore and Washington Conferences merged and became the Baltimore-Washington Conference. The congregation has continued to flourish in its present location. Many renovations have been made to the building. The congregation has remained steadfast in its religious and outreach convictions. Members have been leaders, not only in the church, but also in the Baltimore-Washington Conference and beyond. Even our leadership has been progressive in that we welcomed our first female pastor Rev. Dr. LaReesa Smith-Horn. Rev Smith-Horn served from July 1, 2006 to October 14, 2015. On October 15, 2015 we welcomed our second female pastor Rev. Twanda Prioleau. To God be the Glory for great things God has done.